Monday, July 3, 2017

Musing Mondays - July 3, 2017

Musing Monday is hosted by THE PURPLE BOOKER

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:

I’m currently reading…
Up next I think I’ll read…
I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
I can’t wait to get a copy of…
I wish I could read ___, but…
I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEKS RANDOM QUESTION: Do you follow book release dates and eagerly await a new arrival? Or do you just kind of check things out in a more casual manner?
I wish I could read ___, but…

I wish I could read a murder mystery, but the reality is that right now I am focusing on what I am wanting to do with this blog. I am trying to learn how to read content that sometimes is dry and that fits the topic that I want to have on this blog. I am moving towards being a conversational blog about relevant society conversations. I know this may mean that I am not going to be the most popular blog out there, but I feel that I need to do what I feel in my own heart. I feel that many book people follow a certain protocol and there is nothing wrong with that. It is what they want to do with their blogs. It is what works for them. I appreciate that there is a difference in what bloggers want to do, if we all did the same thing it would make reading these things super boring. My focus is trying to educate on diverse topics through the utilization of books. I want to include some fun reads every once and awhile as well, but because I am so laser-focused on what I am going to make this blog it means that I am not reading a Janet Evanovich or James Patterson book right now. I love reading a mystery novel that involves trying to figure out what happened or what the plot is moving towards. I feel like I have been reading less for fun and more for a purpose right now, but this is what I want. Sometimes when you have a focus you smile and go "Yep, this is what I want." It is what I want right now. I do not see a blogger so far that is focusing on diversity specifically, so I would love to fill in that gap. Again it may not make me the most popular blogger, but it feels like where I belong in the book blogging universe.

This week's random question's answer:

I would say I am an anomaly in the book community. For many years I was unable to read what I wanted to read, so I have a TBR backlog the size of an entire country. You may think I am exaggerating, but I am not. I paid attention when I started to join the community previously, which resulted in me feeling overwhelmed with the new releases. I ended up purchasing several books and they are still sitting on a shelf. Some of them I want to read very badly, but I have not made the time to do this. As a result, I do not pay any attention to new release dates and I do not have that drive to await for a new arrival like others in the book community. I instead get excited when I am at a used bookstore and find a book that I have been wanting to read for a low price. I have picked up numerous releases this way. It makes me a lot happier than reading the latest big fad read. There is an enjoyment that I simply cannot get from that new release in finding and reading a book that is considered a classic or a book that I had to skip because I was not able to read it when it was popular. My reading is very much based on previous literature. I would rather find books that have been previously loved. I will sometimes pay attention to new releases when I see a book blogger discussing a book that fits for what I would normally read. This is how I discovered the book "The Hate U Give", which I intend to read before too much longer. This is how I discover what new releases I would like to read. This makes it easier on me and I find a book that I would actually like to read without having to try to hunt down new releases. It also gives me the opportunity to see what others are doing in the blogging community without spending a lot of money on books that will just take shelf space for the rest of my life.



2 comments:

  1. Love your musing. Each of us needs to find our niche in the blogging world or at least dedicate that creative time to what we wish. As far as book releases go, I don't follow them either at this point--no time.

    Good luck with your blog.

    http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2017/07/musing-monday-july-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good luck wishes and I agree we each have to find where we belong in the blogging universe. I am most definitely trying to find mine, but I am figuring it out. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete