Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Gurl!!! Finish it! Week of 7/5/2017



Every Wednesday (starting next week I am going to move this to Thursday or Friday because I am wanting to start doing a Comic Book Wednesday since New Comics come out on Wednesday I want it to be that day, even though it won't be a review of new comics).  I am going to update where I am at with reading or watching things. This is just a nice little feature for myself partially to have a record of stuff I have started, finished, read, watched, and all that business. I will also include a little bit of why I am reading it or watching that particular thing. Also it will help keep ME on track because I stop reading or watching stuff way too much, so this will help me hold tight to sticking with one darn thing. Anyone reading this also can hold me accountable on what I have been reading and if never moves to "Last Finished" or "Recently Finished" you can be like GURL!!! FINISH IT. 

Last Finished: Disney Magical Dance Volume 1

I reviewed this on the blog already, but it was a fun little read. I greatly enjoyed getting to read this through NetGalley and their program of selecting books and requesting them. If you want to read my full-review of this go to here (it will open in a new window, so you can continue reading this posting).

Currently Reading: You Can't Touch My Hair by Phoebe Robinson,  Bearing an Hourglass by Piers Anthony and The Witching Hour by Anne Rice


I am pushing through "You Can't Touch My Hair" by Phoebe Robinson still. I am over halfway finished with the book and I hope I am able to get it done before it is due on Friday. It is, I admit, a harder book for me to get through because I am not the target audience (African-American), but it is interesting to read to see that perspective. It is the first book that I have actually utilized an index card as a bookmark and wrote page numbers on it so I could remember areas that I may want to quote for a review later on. It is interesting to see myself progress in what and how I want to blog. This book is definitely moving me in the direction I want to go because it is more focused on the topics and conversations that I want to have here. It will be interesting to see what I think about it when I am finished because there are moments where I get frustrated because there is a bit of pop culture overload utilized, but I get partially why she is doing it (which is the reason I have not DNF it). When I am finished with it though I am immediately going back to the Piers Anthony book because I need a little bit of a lighter book than what this one is. Then I will probably move onto another book. I do believe this is the last time that "The Witching Hour" will appear on this list for now because I seriously want to focus on other reads as I try to get myself more acclimated to reading and blogging more regularly. Next week I will have four books either on my currently reading or on my last finished list because I have checked out 4 more graphic novels from NetGalley to review. A couple of them are Disney Manga books, but two of them are other graphic novels that I want to start reviewing for the Wednesday feature mentioned in the top paragraph, which also mentioned that this will move to a different day next week. 

Currently Watching: "The Handmaid's Tale", "Steven Universe" on Hulu and been watching "The Bold and the Beautiful".


This hasn't changed really at all, so I wanted to discuss the fact that I have been regularly watching a soap again. I know soaps are ongoing, so I will never hit the end of this one, so never will be added to my recently finished. Since I haven't been currently watching anything else recently and haven't moved that much forward in the two I am watching (looking at you "The Handmaid's Tale") I thought I would share my thoughts about a recent return to the soap opera genre for me. I stopped watching most soaps because I just simply did not see the characters I grew up with or storylines that I was invested in watching. That was until it came across my Facebook newsfeed that Kimberlin Brown had returned to "The Bold and the Beautiful" as Sheila Carter.

Kimberlin Brown as Sheila Carter (All rights to photo are original owners, not my own)

 I have seen this character do all sorts of despicable acts, but I love the actress so much. I wanted her to return to either Young and the Restless or this soap. I just couldn't fathom how they could do it with some of the storylines they told about her on Young and the Restless though involving switching faces and plastic surgery nightmares. I was pretty sure she was untouchable as a returning character because of this. Then lo and behold she returns suddenly as a cliffhanger on a Friday episode of the show. No one was expecting it because they actually kept it so hidden that only a select few people knew that she had actually been on the set. They went so far as to blackout screens on the lot when filming her scenes. This is phenomenal that it was kept so hush-hush. When I saw this I started watching it online at CBS's website. She still has it! That is all I can say about the actress. She still has that look of evil that comes across without much emphasis, but we are also seeing a softer side to the character than we have seen in the past as well. It is, as a viewer, interesting to watch. I am greatly enjoying it in my free time between all my graduate studies. Since B&B only airs for 30 minutes in the afternoon it only comes out to about 20+ minutes in my day to watch each episode. It gives me something to look forward to on days when I am so busy writing a paper that I am unable to really relax, so thank you "The Bold and the Beautiful" for bring back to the canvas this character because it truly is making me love the soap opera genre again. 

A quick update on the other two shows. I have been putting off "The Handmaid's Tale" until I can figure out how I want to review it on the site. I cannot decide if I want to do each episode individually or if I want to do a larger one-time posting on the show broken-down by episodes. I am leaning towards the one larger posting, but I haven't decided yet. Once I do, I will move on with the show. Steven Universe on the other hand I am only two episodes away from finishing the 3rd season of the show, so I will probably be reviewing it later this week! 

Recently Finished: "The Last Halloween" Halloween Special and "The Biskitts" episode on Halloween.

(The Last Halloween)

I nearly put that I had not finished any more media items since my last check-in, but this wasn't true. I have not finished any television shows or movies currently, but I did finish these two things. My friend, Alexis of ALEXIS' TREASURES, will be doing an entire month of Halloween in October. I am doing some guest writing for her over there during that event, so we are trying to get some of it written up already. It may seem like a far time out, but she is doing an entire month. I am doing roughly 5 reviews for her during the month. I am not wanting to get backed against a wall with the fact that I am moving this blog towards a certain direction with the diversity focus, as a result I am finishing my reviews up already. She does not have an issue with this, so it may seem weird that I am watching Halloween in July, but it is helping me stay on schedule and keep my word to a friend in the process. When the reviews are live I will remention it here for those that are interested in seeing my opinion over these two Halloween programs.




10 comments:

  1. I listened to the audiobook version of You Can't Touch My Hair (it probably made "reading" it faster for me.) I really liked it. As far as the Halloween in July thing, I'm with you right there. I just watched Halloweentown the other day, because it's always a good time to watch that :) - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I love every single one of the "Halloweentown" movies. It will be weird to watch them again when I finally do now that Debbie is gone. It has been slow going for me in regards to reading "You Can't Touch My Hair", but I know I will get it done! Thanks for the response - Cassie

      Delete
  2. What a list! I've thought about doing little reviews kinda like this for the stuff I watch, but I haven't gotten around to it. The closest has been the few Friday Favorite posts I've done, but it's been a while since I've done one. I should start again since I almost NEVER work on Friday's now!

    (And I'm pretty sure it's ALWAYS a good time for Halloween!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized I wanted to be able to talk about just about anything, but remain primarily focused on books. This feature gives me that option to discuss some of the media I watch. :) Though I will be reviewing media when it comes to some of the diverse conversations I am looking to have.

      ( More of a Christmas person here. My friend though, obsessed with Halloween hardcore! Which is why she is crazy enough to do an entire month of blogging for it)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS!

    Also, I need to get back into comics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find indie titles, the two big names are too confusing to catch up on lol Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'd like to read an episode-by-episode review of The Handmaid's Tale, since I don't have Hulu and can't watch it on my own. I'd also be really interested in a breakdown of how it compares to the book. :) Your friend is a rockstar for gathering October posts already. I wish I were that organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda forced her into collecting them because of my schedule lol I start a practicum for school in the Fall so needed to get them done quicker. If I put everything in one massive post I will still break it down episode by episode. Will definitely take your comment into consideration when starting to write it! Thanks!

      Delete